Monday, March 15, 2010

A COUPLE things...

Every day, I tune my radio to my favorite local radio station and it plays, for the most part, all day long in my house. Lately, I have been hearing an ad for a local gym. Their slogan: “Couples who workout together…stick together.” Not the best choice of slogan... For me, it provokes a mental smell of armpit, a mental taste salt and a mental image (that I won’t describe) all at the same time! It’s not pleasant. But, when I hear the ad, I try to put all my 'less than appealing mental thoughts' aside because I love what the gym is trying to promote. Strong, happy, healthy couples!!

I love to workout with my husband! Not only is he the best “Dog chaser-awayer, woman-protector, boo-boo-fixer” that I know, he is so fun to be around! He makes me laugh constantly and can make any workout fly by, guaranteed! (sorry, I don’t rent him out…well, if the price is right...hmmmm....these are trying economic times...). Anyway, with our schedules and two small children, we take advantage of every opportunity we get to work out together. Case in point, a few months ago, our church had a “date night” (aka free childcare!) so, we dropped the kids off the minute we were allowed to do so. We quickly drove home and changed into our running gear and headed to the lake. A planned “3 mile run and movie date” turned into a longer and longer run with no movie at all! We had a great time together, but if I remember correctly we did receive a few strange looks when we returned to the church to pick up the kids - red, hot & dripping with sweat.

Here are a few reasons I think working out as a couple is so great:

Quality time together: It may not be the ideal “date” (for you!), but it’s a great time to be together and talk. If you plan it into your schedule daily/weekly, it may just become your favorite time of the day/week!

Common goals: Having a goal is exciting! It will give you something to work toward – together! Plus, it will give you a lot of new stuff to talk about.

Encouragement: It’s a lot easier to understand someone and empathize with them if you are going through the same thing. Working out together or training for the same goal will inspire you to encourage one another (and that means, you’ll say nice things to each other!).  Try this one: next time you see your work out sweetie, say: "Wow, have you been working out?" (followed by a little wink).  You won't be disappointed with the results!

Celebrate success together: Any way you want.  No need to elaborate!  ;)

3 comments:

  1. This made me a little sad cause I really like having a workout partner and right now I don't really have a physical one. Other then my running buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I'm sorry this post made you a little sad. Obviously, not the intention. When you get back to the states (when is that?), you'll have to plan to do a run/race and then make your man do it with you (even if it is just something really short you can do together). Just promise me you won't place an ad or hang flyers looking for a running buddy. I almost did that once (in a brief moment of desperation), but in Eugene there is just no telling who might respond to such an ad. ;)

    Great job on your Easy, Breezy, Beautiful run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you wrote about this topic. I was going to scan you an article I read that was related a little but failed to do so before this was posted. I'll still send you the article but one thing it mentioned was "couples who exercise in tandem resolve conflicts faster and communicate better." Maybe if couples would just run together when they fight the divorce rate wouldnt be so high!? ;)

    If Brian fell in love with working out as much as me, I'd be in heaven...for all the same reasons you stated in your post. :)

    ReplyDelete