Sunday, March 28, 2010

Have Asics, Will Travel

As all runners know, there is no better way to explore than by on foot.

Most of the races I have completed have been out-of-state. I've found this to be motivating for a few reasons. First off, if I'm traveling for a race, I better train for it! Also, I tend to enjoy the race route more if it's a surprise and I can be distracted by the adventure of what's behind each turn. Finally, there's no better post-race reward than finding yourself in a fun or relaxing destination!

Outside of races, I've also been fortunate to incorporate running into many of my travels- packing along my trusty Asics and devising my own route. Some of the highlights of my trips include running up the Champs Elysees in Paris, training along the city seawall in Apia, Samoa, and jogging along Hoan Kiem Lake (pictured above) in Hanoi, Vietnam. Here, I witnessed residents lifting weights, doing calisthenics, and performing various routines in time with choreographed music piped through speakers along the shoreline- talk about a cultural experience!

Even in my hometown of Seattle, I've found that by running with no plan other than 'this road looks interesting, I'll turn here', I've come across beautiful neighborhood streets, new businesses (including yummy post-run restaurants), and undiscovered vantage points that have left me with a greater appreciation for where I live. I've often thought it was a shame that running tours aren't more prevalent in major cities.

Now that running buddies are finding their way to this blog from around the country and around the world, I would love to hear from you about a time when you've laced up and set out to explore in your hometown or beyond. Any tips on fun destination races would be appreciated as well- the adventure must go on!

6 comments:

  1. Lisa, You have run in some really cool places!! It's amazing how changing up your regular run (just by running down a different street) can make such a difference. One tip for running "out of town" is to make sure that you pay attention to where you are going, in addition to your new and interesting surroundings. I have found that it is very easy to get "turned around" in an area you are not familiar with. And, it's always nice to be able to find your way back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked up The Skirt Chaser 5k and its coming to WA on Aug. 7!! In past years it was only in about 3 states and never in WA so I'm really thinking about running this...just have to get Brian on board.
    http://www.skirtsports.com/skirtchaser5k/

    What about The Devils Chase 6.66 miler on Oct. 31 in Salem, Mass?? Live Thriller Dance is being performed by 50+ zombies as you run by! :)
    http://www.bnsfitness.com/events/devilchase.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tip Kristin!

    C- Both of those sound like fun! Also, I bet it'd be pretty easy to incorporate some more ghost-hunting into a trip to Salem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to do both of those (especially the skirt-chasers!!), but I'll be in Victoria on Aug. 7th and can't miss Halloween with the kiddos on Oct. 31st. Bummer!

    I'm still thinking the Women's Nike Half would be fun. I'll research it more this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This could totally spark a super long, two page comment again, HOWEVER I will just say I love running when I travel. You get to see so much and it's such a fun way to explore and keeps running fun and interesting. Vegas strip was a really fun one because we turned it into a Urban adventure, running up and down random stairs and jumping up on benches not to mention dodging the drunks that were still up at 7am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey well its here everyone... my half marathon post!!! I thought it appropriate to mention since it was in Berlin Germany, and I had to travel there! The post is long and I have tried to make it as helpful as possible as well as informative! Its great to be able to get out and see new places, and you are right, once its over the fun keeps right on coming!

    ReplyDelete