Sunday, February 28, 2010

Baring My Sole

When I was a kid, I used to run barefoot all summer long around my uncles’ farms in Western North Dakota. The sharp, orange scoria rock that lines all the country roads and driveways in that area didn’t seem to bother me or my feet at all. Now, years later, I can barely run to the mailbox barefooted, over a smooth, rocky surface without wincing in pain. That explains the uneasiness I felt as I sat in the doctor’s office last week reading a Time Life article on the phenomenon of barefoot running. The author wrote about the hype in recent months, following the publication of Christopher McDougall's best seller, Born to Run. He also described his own personal experiment with barefoot running.

The idea of running with nothing on my feet during an actual workout is pretty scary to me, I have to confessbut I’d be lying if I said it didn’t intrigue me a little bit, too.

From what I’ve read, barefoot running appears to be more of a trend than a practice based on scientific research. Scan the internet or check your local library, and you’ll find dozens of people writing books, articles & opinion papers on the topic. Most promise that hitting the road shoeless is a more natural way to run (and who’s going to argue with that?).

Here are the biomechanics in a very small nut shell:
When you are not wearing shoes, you run differently. In general, barefoot runners tend to strike the ground on the ball of the foot (closer to the front of the foot, near the toes) and are in contact with the ground for shorter period of time during each stride. This is contrary to those in shoes, who are oftentimes heel-strikers with the back of their foot contacting the ground first, bringing their foot through a full range of motion before leaving the ground.

Advocates for barefoot running believe the change in gait and stride associated with not wearing shoes reduces chronic injury and may actually make you a faster, possibly more efficient, runner. Unfortunately, there isn’t much evidence, from a research or clinical standpoint, to support such claims.

If you are thinking about running barefoot, one internet source stresses the importance of starting out slowly, running or walking barefoot only for short distances at first. This will encourage a natural thickening of the soles of your feet. Once you have “toughened up” your feet, you can add longer distances and rougher Terrain to your workouts. This concept, alone, is enough to make me cringe and lace my shoes up even tighter! I’m a girl and I’ll admit, I’m self-conscience about almost every part of my body, but this is especially true when it comes to my feet! Sure, my self-image may be skewed and irrational at times, but the unchallenged (not even by my husband) truth is … I have ugly feet! So, I’m sure you can understand my hesitation to jump feet first into something that promises to make them even uglier! I’ve been hiding behind cute running shoes for years, so I think I’m going to need a little more evidence or will need to conduct my own personal experiment (on someone else, of course) before I am willing to retire the tennies. How about you?

Barefoot with my first "running buddy" and lil' sis, Caryn!
**************


Vibram Five Finger socks? shoes? hmmm....
**************
Totally unrelated: My newest running buddy, Ashley, is training overseas for her first marathon.  Currently in Istanbul, Turkey, she is running the Berlin, Germany 1/2 marathon next month.  Stop by her blog to cheer her on and be sure to tell her you're a "Running Buddy," too! http://ashleyrun.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the shout out! I too ran barefoot when I was little and its weird you bring this up now cause my boyfriend and I just had a discussion about these shoes he bought they are called Vibram Five Finger http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ and they make it seem like you are barefoot. He got them at REI for cheap and loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin,

    Are you just trying to break it to me gently that I'm not getting new shoes anytime soon?

    Seriously, couldn't one enjoy similar benefits by simply striking the ground more on the forefoot, rather than the heel, whether wearing shoes or not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin, I must say, we are sure cute!! :)

    Interesting post. I can't imagine wanting to run barefoot. If there was a barefoot race I may consider giving it a try just for the experience (if the ground was soft and I was 100% sure I wouldn't come in contact with broken glass, nail, slivers, of course. Ouch!)

    Ashley, funny you mentioned the Vibram Five Finger. I saw a lady wearing them (she was walking) when I was running the other day. I thought they were so funny and couldn't imagine why someone would want to wear them. I guess this answers my question! :) Have you tried them? Curious what you think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just added a picture of the Vibram Five Finger shoes to this post. I've seen these in magazine ads, but don't know of anyone who has a pair (except Ashley's boyfriend now). Does he run in them? They are very interesting, that's for sure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so interesting. I personally have not seen them... I am in Turkey and the BF is back home in Oregon. I think he only wears them in the gym when he is doing his lifting but he says they are very comfortable (a little difficult to get on). I have heard of people running trails in them, and bike riding with them. It makes me curious...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I realize that biomechanics shift when transitioning from walking to running, but the factiod mentioned about barefoot runners striking the ground farter forward on their feet reminded me of an ariticle I read recently. Here's an excerpt from the March 5th edition of The Week: "When humans run, we run like most other animals, on the balls of our feet. But when we walk, we walk heel to toe, a gait shared only by bears and great apes. This turns out to be a highly efficient method of movement, scientis now say. Researchers at the University of Utah measured the oxygen consumption of volunteers as they walked three different ways: heel first, ball first, and on tiptoe. Those who walked heel first expended 53% less energy than those who walked ball first, and 83% less than those on tiptoe." If this also applies to running, then that is another huge reason to NOT go barefoot; you'll not only rip up your unprotected feet, you'll be wasting a whole lot of energy doing it ...
    P.S. The title of a magazine should be underlined, but there's no way to do it in the Post a Comment box on a blog, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome site! I'm new to blogging, and for that matter running, but have quickly developed a deep passion for both. The blogging community is such a great resource for running related topics.

    Yes, Minnesota does cool off considerably in the winter, however, it is positively beautiful weather for snowsheoing.

    shannon
    www.shannonssummations.com

    ReplyDelete